Wow! Amazing! Perfect! These exclamations have all come out of my mouth as I tried this brand-new app for reading instruction and early learning (target age is 3-6 years old). It is one of the smartest apps I've seen for this age group, and it is climbing the charts--it's currently the #6 FREE app in Education (it does have in-app purchases, but provides a ton of content for free.)
I don't simply highly recommend this app--I INSIST that if you ever even breathe near a child from 3-6 (or who will someday be 3-6), you download this now. This means parents, teachers, therapists--it's really that great. The free content is so worth it, and for those kids who take to the program, the in-app purchases for multi-packs are currently on sale!
To start out the school year by meeting kids' literacy needs on the iPad, please support Smart Apps For Kids and use our download link: (iPad ONLY, iOS 6.0)
** Please note ** Pricing and dates are correct at the time of publishing. Only the app's developer can control when an app is free/reduced. This app contains in-app purchases. **
This app contains so much great content for kids, presented in exactly the way it is important to learn. And it's not only solid phonics instruction! The "rewards" themselves are educational, with prompts like "Today you met a mad alligator. Make up a story about why the alligator is so mad."
It does contain in-app purchases, but a lot of the app is actually free. Kids can draw pictures, record stories, listen to an insane number of free stories (really thirteen), pick new thinking caps (including caps that are earned through rewards!), complete four different phonics lessons (a, t, p, and m), and explore the world with a crazy number of free non-fiction books (twelve! See--crazy!)
• The first comprehensive reading app—designed by top education experts!
• Featured on the App Store
• 5 Star Review - Common Sense Media
• Groundbreaking. Combines the best early learning techniques in just one app.
A GREAT START
Learn with Homer is designed by literacy experts for children ages 3–6. With its beautiful design and vast connected content, it's mind-blowingly different from other apps.
"Reading is like entering a conversation with life, and Learn with Homer helps kids begin that magical journey." - Common Sense Media
WE MAKE IT EASIER
The early years matter most, but it's hard to guide your child's learning. We make it easier for parents by bringing the best early learning techniques together in just one app.
"Now, when people ask me for a reading app for young kids, this will be my recommendation." - Forbes
LEARN TO READ
A complete step-by-step learn to read program, not just edutainment. Fun and rigorous phonics lessons. Beautifully illustrated stories, rhymes, games, and more.
"Learn with Homer...revolutionizes the learn-to-read concept as we know it." - Babble
DISCOVER THE WORLD
A carefully curated series of science, history, art, and other non-fiction adventures. All interactive. All expand your child's vocabulary and general knowledge.
Fun drawing and recording tools for your child to develop their expressive skills, plus help them master their learning.
GREAT PARENT TOOLS
Use our Parent website to track your child’s progress. Share their creations over Facebook or email. Download great printables or book recommendations at www.learnwithhomer.com/parents
MEETS SCHOOL STANDARDS
Learn with Homer is designed to meet the new Common Core standards being introduced into American schools. Learn with Homer can directly help your child meet these new academic goals.
FREE TO TRY
Free to download! Free content includes 18 Learn to Read lessons and stories, 12 Discover the World lessons, and access to Homer’s Clubhouse and parent tools. That’s more than 30 stories and lessons for free! Additional content available through in-app purchase. Exciting new content released regularly.
PEACE OF MIND
Safe, trusted, and fun. We take your privacy seriously. No ads, ever.
Compatible with iPad 2 and newer. Works best over WiFi or offline (not 3G).
DOWNLOAD AND SEE WHY LEADERS LOVE HOMER!
• “Homer has the potential to change early education for children and their families.” Stacey Childress, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
• "I truly hope that Learn with Homer finds its way into the classroom so that all children can benefit from it." - EdSurge
CONNECT WITH US
• A COMPLETE INTERACTIVE READING PROGRAM. Our careful, systematic design is unique. We teach each phoneme (sound) in sequence. We start with sounds and letters, move to words, and then sentences. We cover sight words, punctuation, blending, spelling, and phonemes.
• LIBRARY OF CLASSIC AND MODERN STORIES from around the world. Fables, rhymes, poetry, folktales, songs, and more.
• FUN SCIENCE ADVENTURES that build key vocabulary and general knowledge, plus teach about the natural world.
• ART AND RECORDING TOOLS for children to draw or record their reactions and ideas.
• PARENT TOOLS. Track your child's progress, access book recommendations, or download printables using our parent website, www.learnwithhomer.com/parents
Heather H. thinks she looks great in the cupcake thinking hat!
Originally posted on Smart Apps for Kids.