If you would like to purchase Just Go To Bed - Little Critter ($0.99, iPad/iPhone) and help support Smart Apps for Special Needs in this process, please click the link below.
Links to other Oceanhouse Media apps available for purchase
I love books, and I attribute that to being exposed to lots of great children's books when I was growing up. Little Critter stories are an enduring treasure of relatable childhood situations. Just Go to Bed - Little Critter is a cute story about how Little Critter attempts to stall going to bed.
There are three options when starting the story:
- Read to Me -- Professional or self recorded narration reads as the user flips the pages.
- Auto Play -- Professional narration only and pages automatically advance
- Read it Myself -- Narration is turned off
One feature I really like for many reasons is the ability to record your own narration. One reason is that a family member or friend that lives elsewhere can read the story for the child to hear. My mother-in-law lives 2,000 miles away and loves that her grandchildren can hear her read to them anytime they want.
I would like if the app allowed you to edit the label of the different narrations. It is a little thing, but I started recording myself read the story for my son, and I labeled it "Mommy." Then, my son thought it was fun and started reading and recording pages as well. I went back and wanted to relabel our recording as "Mommy and Son" but could not. I did create a new recording and label it with his name, but he was sad that our combination reading only had my name on it.
This is a great little app to introduce your child to Little Critter or to add to your growing library. The story is entertaining as well as a great beginner reading book.
Playful and energetic Little Critter resists his father's efforts to get him ready for bed. Little Critter plays a space cadet when his father wants him in the bathtub, and a race car driver when it's time to put on pajamas. Will Little Critter's parents ever get him to bed?
Mercer Mayer's Little Critter stories, which address all the major issues of growing up, are perennial favorites of parents and children.
Recommended Ages: 2 - 5
- Three ways to read: "Read to Me," "Read it Myself," and "Auto Play"
- Picture / Word association
- Page selector
- Individual words highlight and are read aloud when tapped
- Find the creature mini-game
- Professional audio narration
- Custom background audio for each scene
- Pages pan & zoom to accentuate the beautiful, original art of Mercer Mayer
- This 'Universal App' is optimized for Retina displays and the iPad