If you would like to download Phonics Tic Tac Toe (FREE, iPad/iPhone), please show your support by using our link:
**Only the app's developer can control when an app is free or not. All apps that we post as free are verified to be free at the time of this post. We make no guarantees otherwise.**
Did you ever watch Hollywood Squares? It is the game show where celebrities sat in a Tic-tac-toe grid, and contestants had to get the celebrity's question right to earn either an X or an O. This game works on the same principle, only using phonics questions instead of celebrity trivia.
Not only do children need to figure out strategic choices of which square they need to get correct next, but they can't always pick the easiest question to answer and still win the game. If they need the center square to win or to block their opponent from winning, then they must answer whatever question is in that box.
Sample questions include:
- What are the last to letters of the picture below?
- What letters are missing from this word? (picture shown and middle two letters blank)
- In which word does the "c" make the same sound as the "c" in "rice?"
- How many syllables are in this word?
- Which word has a long "e" sound?
This app is designed for kids aged 6+ or working on 1-3 grade level; however, I enjoyed playing it as well with my kids. Older kids working at an early readiness level will not find this app too babyish.
From the developers:
Children build language skills in a fast-paced game of tic-tac-toe! Fun, interactive game explores vowel sounds, syllables and more. For ages 6-8 years.
Plus, check out the other Lakeshore Learning Materials apps: Letter of the Day Interactive Activities and Beginning Sounds Interactive Game.
Designed to meet these objectives:
- Identifying blends and digraphs
- Recognizing words with the same beginning sounds
- Counting syllables in words
- Recognizing words with the same ending sounds
- Identifying sounds in words
Rachel H loves apps where her kids don't realize they are learning something educational because they just think it's fun.