We have covered the issue of children wandering (or sometimes running) off in multiple discussion questions as well as in posts. Both Plans to Keep Runners Safe and How to Stop a Runner covered different aspects of children who are prone to walk off. If this is an issue in your family, you may want to check out NAA's Big Red Safety Box. Supplies are limited and you must have a U.S. shipping address to qualify.
Details about contents of the box from NAA:
NAA’s Big Red Safety Boxes have a retail value of $53.00. They include extensive resources for caregivers to help prevent and respond to wandering incidents. The contents of the box are as follows:
1) Educational materials and tools:
Be REDy printed toolkit including -
A caregiver checklist
A Family Wandering Emergency Plan
A first-responder profile form
A wandering prevention brochure
A sample IEP Letter
A Student Profile Form
2) Two (2) Door/Window Alarms including batteries
3) One (1) RoadID Personalized, Engraved Shoe ID Tag*
4) Five (5) Laminated Adhesive Stop Sign Visual Prompts for doors and windows
5) Two (2) Safety Alert Window Clings for car or home windows
6) One (1) Red Safety Alert Wristband
*You will receive instructions in the box to submit a custom personalization order online at roadid.com. Your tag will be quickly engraved with your emergency information and mailed to you at no charge.
For full details and to apply for a Big Red Safety Box, go to:
Also, check out their Big Red Safety Shop for other materials and resources to keep kids safe.