External link leads to iTunes to rate the app. Link is located behind a parental section that requires a two finger swipe in a given direction.
OctoPlus has a simple and easy to use home screen with three choices. Children can practice in drill mode or challenge mode, while parents can adjust the settings and check scores in options. Drill mode fits its name perfectly, as a child picks a number from one to ten and lots of practice occurs. Users can choose beginner, advanced or expert, which adjusts the length of the practice trial. Challenge mode mixes up addition practice, no longer focuses on adding to one specific number.
Watch out! The octopus is out to get the swimming turtles with its ink. As the octopus moves back and forth across the bottom of the screen, the child must click to shoot ink at the turtles. Challenge mode makes it a little bit more difficult causing the octopus to be at a certain point on the bottom of the screen to shoot. In this mode, the main objective is to pick the correct answer arch, so the shooting can be turned off, if desired.
My favorite part about this app is the variety of customization options. The app is promoted as switch accessible, which allows children with a variety of needs to use it. The speeds for the turtles and the octopus can be changed, along with turning on and off backgrounds, music, sound effects and voice. The app keeps track of scores, too, to track progress.
Playing OctoPlus will not only provide addition practice, but it also works to enhance motor skills. Isn't it wonderful when developers sneak in some extra skills? For $0.99, a brand new app of learning fun can be handed to a child. It is worth a peek. Check out the video to see more about it:
Introducing OctoPlus, a gaming app that makes math addition fun and engaging for kids. Based on a math adaptation of Turtle Invaders, a 2014 Gold Winner of the Mom’s Choice Award for Best in Family-Friendly Products, OctoPlus places you in an underwater aqua world where you have to battle turtles to score points. OctoPlus reinforces key math skills within an interactive gaming environment. With both a drill and challenge mode, children’s math skills are improved based on their own individual learning ability. OctoPlus is also designed to enhance motor skills for young children and kids with motor or cognitive delays. With a phenomenal ability to set options, this app will keep kids motivated and engaged. The app is designed to improve visual attention, timing, coordination and control. Parents can also use this switch-accessible app to reinforce Individualized Education Program (IEP) goals.
Video Play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwhHHbYBlDM
"OctoPlus is a top math app for early addition facts!" - Smart Apps for Kids
"OctoPlus is a winner for Zyrobotics! The astounding graphics, gameplay that makes the learning feel like a video game and accessibility for kids who cannot just grab a fun app like this, make this app a gem!" - AppyMall
"Zyrobotics is to be applauded for its efforts to provide a fun switch-accessible educational app with lots of customization options." - The iMums
"What I really like is that it works for every kid." - Book Room Reviews
"Overall, the look and feel is awesome and it will surely provide hours of learning and entertainment for your child." - Product Girls
1. Math adaptation of Turtle Invaders - 2014 Gold Winner of the Mom’s Choice Award for Best in Family-Friendly Products.
2. Increases math confidence and competence
3. Helps kids master common core math skills
4. A Parent Zone enables parents and teachers to stay connected to their child’s progress
5. Includes the OctoStore where kids can buy cute characters as a reward
6. Incorporates a drill/practice mode to provide a fun, engaging, and effective way to learn
7. Incorporates a challenge/test mode to assess learning
8. Fun for all, with additional features to help children with special needs
9. Switch-accessible for children with motor limitations who use an external switch (connected through a Bluetooth switch interface such as TabAccess)
10. Graphics and music can be graded to make this game suitable for sensory sensitive kids or for kids that are easily distracted
11. Beginner, Experienced, and Expert mode to help children gain confidence during game play
12. Fully customizable settings can adjust game options based on the skill level of the child
13. Helps in improving hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills for children
14. Enables learning for all kids of all skill levels and abilities
15. Can use this switch-accessible app to reinforce Individualized Education Program (IEP) goals
Curriculum: Common Core Math State Standards
OctoPlus covers the following Operations & Algebraic Thinking Math Topics: Add numbers to 10; Add in any order; Make a number
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.OA.A.3 - Decompose numbers less than or equal to 10 into pairs in more than one way
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.OA.A.4 - For any number from 1 to 9, find the number that makes 10 when added to the given number
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.K.OA.A.5 - Fluently add and subtract within 5.
Heather S. is enjoying Spring Break and has lost all track of days!